min read
A- A+



Immigration documents needed for health insurance

You may need to have one or more of the following documents, if you want to apply for health insurance at the Marketplace. The documents you need depends on your immigration status.

• Permanent Resident Card, “Green Card” (I-551)

• Reentry Permit (I-327)

• Refugee Travel Document (I-571)

• Employment Authorization Document (I-766)

• Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (with temporary I-551 language)

• Temporary I-551 Stamp (on passport or I-94/I-94A)

• Arrival/Departure Record (I-94/I-94A)

• Arrival/Departure Record in foreign passport (I-94)

• Foreign Passport

• Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20)

• Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (DS2019)

• Notice of Action (I-797)

• Document indicating membership in a federally recognized Indian tribe or American Indian born in Canada

• Certification from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)

• Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) eligibility letter (if under 18)

• Document indicating withholding of removal

• Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security

• Resident of American Samoa card

• Alien number (also called alien registration number or USCIS number) or 1-94 number

Complete list of documents that can be used to verify your immigration status.


Source:, CMS, HHS